1. You Help Break the Cycle of Overpopulation of Stray Animals
There are not enough homes for all the animals that are born every year. Adopting from a shelter helps reduce the overpopulation of stray and stop the overwhelming number of dogs, cats, puppies and kittens that are euthanized simply because there are not enough homes for them.
2. You Help Stop Cruelty in Puppy and Kitten Mills
Thousand of irresponsible backyard breeders produce millions of animals for sales. Female dogs and cats repeatedly impregnated and spent their entire lives in cages without human companionship. These unfortunate animals are often in intolerable environments, forced to produce litter upon litter and are destroyed after they become unprofitable assets. Adopting a rescued animal means you do not support such cruel practices.
3. You Can Adopt an Adult Animal
Adult pets are awesome! They are often already housetrained and some have been trained for basic obedience like ‘sit’ and ‘stay’. You will not have to deal with the over-hyperactive mode that most baby pet has such as biting, chewing, scratching and pooping everywhere!
4. You Get A Lifetime Resource With Shelter Staff And Volunteers
People who work at the adoption centers are your best resources to help you find information or resources for your pet. Staff members who work with animals every day will have great amount of information on many different issues.
5. So Many Animals to Choose From!
At an adoption centre, you will always be able to find a pet that suits your unique personality and lifestyle. All staff member and volunteers are happy to recommend your suitable fur-companion!
6. You Adopt A Pet Who Has Received Good Care
All animals that are admitted by an adoption centre had gone through proper check up and behavior assessment. They are given vaccinations and are sterilized, which will save you a lot of trouble of bringing them into a vet in the future.
8. You Will Be Rewarded with Forever Gratitude
Pets that are adopted tend to be more grateful that you had chosen them and be ready to be showered with love, laughter and companionship for as long as you both shall live!
9. You Encourage Others to Adopt Animals From Rescue And Adoption Centers
When your friends ask where you got your amazing pet, you can tell them ‘at the adoption centre’. Your adoption may encourage others to do the same. Imagine the number of animal saviors you can spark!
10. You Save Not 1, But 2 Lives When You Adopt A Pet
When you adopt a pet, you are saving two lives. The one that you are taking home with you and the one who will replace his/her place in the adoption centre.
Are you ready to adopt a pet? Adopting a pet is a great joy and a huge responsibility. It is not a decision to be taken lightly. There are lots of things you need to consider to make sure you make the right choice for you, your family and your lifestyle. For example:
- If you are travelling a lot and work long hours away from home, it is probably not the right time for you to adopt.
- If you have a busy schedule, perhaps you might want to consider getting an adult cat as your perfect companion.
- If you are planning a major lifestyle change like marriage, moving or a new baby, you would want to put your pet adoption plans on hold until things settle down in your life.
- Are you prepared to pay for everything your pet needs for the next 10 to 15 years? Food, pet supplies, grooming and veterinary bills can add up easily to thousands of dollars over the lifetime of the pet.
SPCA Selangor is open daily, including weekends and public holidays. Visiting hours are from 9am to 4pm. For more information, call us at 03-42565312 or visit our website at www.spca.org.my, on facebook at SPCA Selangor, Malaysia, and Instagram spcaselangor.